When you're sparring whether it's for boxing or MMA you should be protecting your head from unnecessary damage. You want to save your chin for competition because if your brain takes enough damage, it's going to start saving you earlier to avoid further damage.
Having a great chin is something to be proud of but if you're just training you could be putting yourself at risk of losing that chin. That's why having headgear for sparring is so important.
We've compiled a list of the best headgear for sparring which can be used for boxing, MMA, kickboxing, Muay Thai, and Taekwondo.
What to Look for in MMA Headgear
When you're looking for headgear to use for sparring in mma you want full protection of your head. Especially the back of the head too because of headkicks. Look for layers of foam padding. The more protection the less visibility you will have and vice versa.
On this list, some have full face protection, they all protect your forehead, cheeks and temple, but some don't protect the chin or nose.
The right material to find in headgear for mixed martial arts are either 100% authentic genuine leather or high quality PU. Synthetic leather can be just as good as real leather so it's really a preference to the individual. Real leather is of course more expensive.
Other materials to look for are shock absorbing gel lining and antimicrobial treatment.
A well designed piece of headgear for MMA has ventilation and adjustable straps to adjust the fit to your head. A curved or contoured design is a plus too.
Top 10 Headgear for MMA
Handmade in Thailand with durable leather and several layers of high density foam for maximum protection. It's soft on the inside so it's comfortable but hard on the outside to protect your head.
The headgeard has ears, cheek, and chin protection and also excellent visibility. The curve design for the chin make it more comfortable for your throat.
On top of the headguard are laces and the padded back hoop and loop closure is adjustable so you get a secure fit.
Comes in Black or White
3 Sizes available (Medium, Large, Extra Large)
Handcrafted with full-grain Italian leather.
It has a low profile and full face protection with a chin cup and a wide field of vision.
Vented mesh ears and open top that keeps your ears and head cool.
It comes in one size with their Patented T-cross closure for a custom fit that doesn't shake around while you spar.
The RDX Headguard is made of Maya Hide Leather. The leather is hard to break so it will last through tough sparring sessions.
It has shell shock gel lining that absorbs the impact of blows to the head.
Quick EZ Hook and Loop closure keeps the head stable but it's adjustable for flexibility and comfort
- Made with premium synthetic leather
- Antimicrobial treatment to avoid odors and bacteria
- One size with an adjustable chin strap so you a secure fit to your head size.
- Adjustable head gear that can be used for adults or kids with a hook and loop closure system and head cap and height can be adjusted
- Contoured design and curved cheeks for maximum visibility
- Lightweight and made with PU synthetic leather that is resistant to sweat
- Two layers of padding to protect your entire head and absorbs shock from blows to the head
- Padding on the forehead, temple, cheeks, chin and back of head
- Comes in 6 colors and two sizes: (S/M, L/XL)
- Black, Red, Blue, Copper, Silver, Green
- Full Face Coverage
- Can be used for all combat sports: mma, kickboxing, Muay Thai, Karate, and Taekwondo
- Impact absorbing foam
- Secure Hook and Loop Closure System
- 10 Color Options
- Black/Gold, Black/White, Grey/Grey, Khaki/Black, Matte/Black, Navy Blue/White, Neo Pink, White/Black, White/Gold, White/White
- Constructed with 100% PU skintex leather
- Ultra Lightweight
- Three layers of foam to absorb shock from strikes
- Open Top with mesh for breathability
- Comes in 4 Colors (Black/Grey, Black/Green, Black/Red, White/Black)
- Crush Zone Core for maximum head protection and dispersion of shock
- T Cross Closure gives a customized and secure fit to the head
- Antimicrobial lining to prevent odors and bacterial growth
- Made of real cowhide leather from Mexico
- Available in 8 Colors (Black, Blue, Green, Purple, Red, Silver, White, Yellow
- Comes in one size
- Rounded face guard
- Pre-curved molded foam padding
- Very wide hook and loop closure to keep your head secure
- Famously worn by Conor McGregor in his training for the Floyd Mayweather fight
For MMA sparring is one of the most important aspects of training and you want to have the right gear for it. Of course you'll need gloves but the most important part of smart training is good headgear.
We've recommended our top 10 favorite headgear for mixed martial arts and given the reasons why they made our top list.
Overall we looked at the functionality, the material and design of all the headgear available today and all 10 really could be interchanged.
Our #1 recommendation is the Fairtex HG10 because it has the best balance of all the attributes we looked for in headgear. It has the perfect balance of protection and visibility and is made of excellent material. It's very good looking and it's the only headgear that comes with an extra bonus which is the mouthguard
We hope you enjoyed our article and got something good out of it. If you have any comments or recommendations just let us know!